Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stand


The minute that I got this book in my hands, I could not put it down. The story isn't about something new. The effects of abuse reach out so far and so wide, and affect so many people in their lifetime. But it's also the story nobody knows. For most victims it never goes away, it just gets buried deeper. But pain has a way of festering and bubbling away inside. It confines us and it confuses us,and then we've become it's hostage.
Debbie Williamson stood up. "Stand" is her story, and it's pain-filled. It was at times, quite painful just to read. The one thing that comes to mind right now is that not once did I have to read those ugly accusing words, co-dependent. The label that has been handed out so frequently and consistently inflicts victims to bury their abuse even deeper.
Abuse, any kind of abuse can be likened to a domino effect. It's difficult to stand up with all the other dominoes falling right behind you.
There is so much to learn from reading this book. The people are real, and they might easily be found in any family tree, or perhaps rather, hanging in dark closets as skeletons from the past.
Social workers,therapists, teachers and victims need to read Debbie's book. I must agree totally with Sylvia Brown, this "truly exemplifies a journey of courage and strength"



How did I happen to read this book?  I feel very fortunate because I actually won this book from my favorite site,http://www.goodreads.com/   It is  where I had  recently read a review of it, and then I knew right away that I wanted to read this book. So I entered my name in a drawing with about 900 other people that were also hoping to win the book. I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that I had been chosen to be 1 of the 30 winners! I will admit that I figured I had zero chance of actually winning the book and I was more than willing to purchase it myself.  Not only did I receive Stand in the mail in just a matter of days, but the author, Debbie Williamson signed it: "Lauren, My heart to yours,Debbie". 
This made it even more special to me. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, Thank you for the kind review. I feel as if my book might actually do what it was meant to do. It's women like you that keep me believing there is a way to change our world. I meant with all my heart MY HEART TO YOURS!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, I recieved your message about wanting more info on Spectrum. Thought it would be fun to answer on your blog spot! What can I tell you about Spectrum? Ask away...
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 42 years old when I was finally able to speak the truth, not only to myself but most of all to my mother. The man she married when I was 19 months old had in fact had everything to do with the sudden and drastic change in my behavior,personality and tantrums. The problems continued because he was clever enough to be sweet and fun during the day despite my behavior while he consistently undressed me and fondled me night after night. "Momma, my "nancy" hurts me when I make pee" My mother never made any connection, even as I spoke those words out loud as a toddler again and again. She was resentful towards me as I was just looking for attention because in her mind I was spoiled. She took my behavior so personal that she believed I was just trying to get to her. I had no words to explain what was happening to me, and could only accept the unacceptable. My mother believed what she wanted to, back then. Everything was about her.It's an extremely complicated story but I am grateful that by the grace of God I went to an extreme treatment program and felt as if the weight of the world was finally lifted off me. I never would have ever told her but once I did, it all finally made sense to her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.