Thursday, March 6, 2014

A childhood favorite returns Pine Bros Softish Throat Drops

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
I grew up where the winters are cold and long and every one had a dry throat from the weather and or the heat from the furnaces. Some mornings my mother would hand me s quarter tell me to buy some cough drops for myself as I went out the door. The little neighborhood store had several brands of the menthol type and then there were Pine Bros. They were available in original licorice and wild cherry flavors back then. They may have had the honey flavor back then but I just don't recall seeing it. They came in a box lined with paper to keep them fresh and cost 10 cents a package. Later on the price went up to 15 cents but it didn't matter to me because I loved them. I recall how surprised I was when my grandfather told me that he remembered them from when he was a boy.

They were made in Philadelphia in 1870 by a German confectionary maker by the name of J. Herman Pine. They were first called Pine Bros Glycerin Drops.These caught on quickly and did well and then in 1930 they sold them to LifeSavers Company. The throat drops continued to flourish and with very little change to the recipe in 140 years. These unique and delicious cough drops were very popular in the 70's but since then they have slowed down as the company has changed hands a couple times and Pine Bros were almost forgotten. Until Victoria Knight-McDowell and her company 3 Sisters Home Products decided to locate the original Pine Bros recipes, redesign the packaging and create a classic new look. The product is once again being made in America and I have a feeling that J. Herman Pine would be quite proud. As for myself, I couldn't be any happier about a cough drop as I am now because this is among my childhood favorites.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.