Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Saint Days in October for Catholics

As Catholics we know that each month has its own special days that are meant to honor either the birth, death or conversion of a particular saint. It has been a custom for many Catholics to honor their favorite saint, and many do so by remembering them on their particular feast day. I think it is also a wonderful way for children to learn about the lives of saints.
Every month has it's own feast days each year. The month of October is no different. So I thought I would share some of the feast day that I personally know of. If you are interested in finding more information and/or would like to find Saint Feast days for another month, there will be links at the end of the article.

October 1

St. Therese of Lisieux (born 1873-died 1897)

She was a Carmelite nun, born in France and died very young at age 24. Many people all over the world consider her to be one of the most beloved and popular saints of all times.

She was dedicated and led by doing the duties of everyday life with it's ordinary hardships with the child like spirit and confidence.

She also promised that she would work for souls even after she went to heaven. She has been called "The Little
Flower of Jesus"

She also said she would send roses to earth as a sign of this. Many miracles involving roses and flowers that have no other explanation have been attributed to St. Therese.

I have also been able to witness such a miracle. Twenty fives years ago, I was faced with such a sad day like nothing that I had ever known. When amidst my tears, a comforting inner voice directed me to a place that had long been dormant, and to find the one yellow rose.

There is also another reason for my fondness for Saint Therese. Someone once told me that Therese, much like myself also had a sweet tooth. Her particular fondness was for chocolate eclairs. So on this feast day it shall be a pleasure to honor this saint by eating a chocolate eclair.

Therese also was a gifted writer and is well known for her poems.(http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-therese-of-lisieux/)

I also include this novena:

Novena to St. Therese
O Little Therese of the Child Jesus, please pick for me a rose from the heavenly gardens and send it to me as a message of love.
O Little Flower of Jesus, ask God today to grant the favors I now place with confidence in your hands... (mention specific request)
Saint Therese, help me to always believe as you did, in God's great love for me, so that I might imitate your "Little Way" each day.
Amen. http://saints.sqpn.com/novena07.htm

October 2

Feast of the Guardian Angels

The belief that each person has their own angel to guard and guide them through life, has had a long history with the church. This can be a very enjoyable feast day for children. On this feast day, it is tradition for Catholics to pray for protection of their Guardian Angel.
(http://saints.sqpn.com/guardian-angels/)

I also wanted to share the following prayers:

Dear Angel, in his goodness God gave you to me to guide, protect and enlighten me, and to being me back to the right way when I go astray.
Encourage me when I am disheartened, and instruct me when I err in my judgment.
Help me to become more Christlike, and so some day to be accepted into the company of Angels and Saints in heaven
Amen. (http://saints.sqpn.com/pray0158.htm)

Guardian Angel from heaven so bright,
Watching beside me to lead me aright,
Fold your wings 'round me,
and guard me with love,
Softly sing songs to me
of heaven above.
Amen. (http://saints.sqpn.com/pray0358.htm)

Angel of God,
my Guardian dear,
to whom His love
commits me here,
ever this day
be at my side,
to light and guard,
to rule and guide.
Amen. (http://saints.sqpn.com/pray0360.htm

October 4

St. Francis of Assisi (born-1182 died-1226)

This saint was born of very wealthy parents,but he chose to be a poor servant for the glory of God. Most people are familiar with this, and it's is one of my favorites. Saint Francis is also known for his poem (http://saints.sqpn.com/pray0340.htm) "Canticle of Brother Sun."

Here is a simple prayer:

Most lovable and popular Saint, son of a go-getting and wealthy merchant of Assisi, you discarded earthly possessions for the Savior you loved so dearly and you won innumerable persons for Jesus. How greatly we need in our day unselfish and just merchants. Inspire them with the love of Christ for others and with the desire for things that endure. Amen.(http://saints.sqpn.com/pray0233.htm)

This is a very well known one:

The Prayer Of St. Francis
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen(http://saints.sqpn.com/prayer-of-saint-francis-of-assisi/)

Many Catholics, adults and children know this feast day, by the Blessing of The Animals. It is really special because it's one celebration that many Catholic parishes will have their own "Blessing of The Animal's" day, which anybody will be able to their bring animals to be blessed by the Priest. There has even been blessings for circus animals! In rural towns, they bring large animals,cow, donkey's and such. Children along with their families often look forward to the "Blessing of the animals."
http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-francis-of-assisi/

October 7

Our Lady of Rosary (1571)

This day is to commemorate a navel victory which was won by the Christian fleet, and occurred at Le Panto in 1571. This victory is attributed to Mary's help which is invoked through praying the Rosary.
http://saints.sqpn.com/our-lady-of-the-rosary/

October 15

St. Teresa of Avila (born-1515 died-1582)

This particular Spanish saint was known for her love for writing. Teresa was crippled from disease as a child but was later healed after praying to Saint Joseph. After this happened it led her as she was also known as the great reformer of the Carmelite Order. Saint Teresa is known as the "Doctor of The Church."
http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-teresa-of-avila/

October 18

St. Luke

He wrote the Acts of the Apostles. He was a physician and helper to St. Paul. He was a gentile and wrote his gospels for other gentiles, to understand.Many Catholics read Acts on this day and consider how it applies to their own lives. http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-luke-the-evangelist/

October 28

St. Jude

St. Jude was the brother of St. James the less and he was also a cousin of Jesus. I am not sure exactly why, but this saint has always been referred by "the saint of the impossible."

I have known this saint to be referred to as Saint Jude, of the hopeless. He is very much honored in both India and Uganda, where many novena's are said invoking his intercession.
http://saints.sqpn.com/saint-jude-thaddeus/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment.